Monday Morning Fire Damages Home
KSAL Staff - Mon 03:01 PM 06/25/2012
A fire damages a north Salina home Monday morning.
Firefighters were called to a home at 806 W. Ash at around 9:00 in the morning to the report of a possible house fire.
According to the Salina Fire Department, first responders discovered smoke and flames coming from the rear of the home. Fire crews were able to make a quick knock down on the fire, and contain it to the back of the house.
Investigations determined that the fire was started by a juvenile playing with a lighter at the back of the house, between a shed and the house. There were five occupants home at the time of the fire. All escaped without significant injury. The juvenile was evaluated on-scene by paramedics for a small superficial burn to his cheek. He was released back to his parents.
Red Cross representatives responded to the scene assisted the tenants with temporary shelter since the home is without utilities and not habitable at this time.
The fire department issues this safety reminder:
Matches, lighters, and other heat sources are the leading causes of fire deaths for children. Never underestimate your child's curiosity about fire, nor their ability to strike matches or start a lighter. Store matches and lighters out of children's reach and sight, preferably in a locked cabinet.
Remember, even child-resistant lighters are not childproof and should be stored securely as well. When a child is curious about fire or has been playing with fire, calmly and firmly explain that matches and lighters are tools for only adults to use carefully. In addition, instruct toddlers to tell you when they find a match or lighter.
Never use matches or lighters as amusement for your children. They may imitate your actions.