Fire Destroys Hay Barn
Jeff Garretson - Wed 11:33 AM 06/27/2012
A hay shed burns to the ground northwest of Gypsum.
A metal hay shed that had just been stacked full of fresh hay is now a total loss after an early morning fire.
According to Saline County Sheriff's Deputy Rick Heinrich, Rural Fire District #1 responded to a call at 6:29am Wednesday morning to a fire burning at 5512 E. Farrelly Road.
Deputies say the shed was a 50-foot by 100-foot metal structure filled with large square bales of brome and oat hay.
Owner Larry Seim told authorities a telehandler machine used for stacking hay was in the shed too - as well as an additional 500-bales that were stacked outside.
The fire was under control but still smoldering at 9:30am this morning.
Foul play is not suspected. There were no injuries.
Total loss and damage is listed at $211,000.