Small House Fire Quickly Extinguished
KSAL Staff - Fri 01:13 PM 10/19/2012
A small house fire is quickly extinguished early Friday afternoon.
Salina firefighters were called to 1327 Republic at around 11:45 to the report of smoke coming from a house.
Fire investigator Troy Long told KSAL News at the scene that there was an active fire when crews first arrived. They were able to quickly get it out.
Long says that the resident turned on the furnace, and a short time later smoke started coming out of the vents.
Everyone exited the home quickly. There were no injuries.
Long says that the fire department typically sees an increase in fires this time of year, as people begin using furnaces for the first time. He advises to have a furnace checked, and if needed serviced, before using it for the first time. He also has the same advice for chimneys, and fireplaces.
Long adds that now is also a great time to make sure that batteries are fresh in smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.