Fire Department Honors Salina Man
KSAL Staff - Thu 01:31 PM 01/24/2013
Joshua Mast contacted Salina 911 Dispatch on the morning of December 16, 2012 to report a smoke alarm going off inside a neighbor’s residence.
The Salina Fire Department credits a Salina man for saving his neighbor's home. The department is honoring Salinan Joshua Mast.
According to the department, Mast called 911 back on December 16th to report a smoke alarm going off inside a neighbor's residence.
Crews from Station 4 responded to the call and found nothing visible from the outside of the residence. Upon entry into the residence, however, smoke was found throughout the first floor. The Firefighters found that the tenant was out of town and that his cats had apparently knocked over a plastic Christmas tree onto a floor furnace which had begun melting and smoldering.
Firefighters were able to remove the tree and clear the smoke from the residence. The tenant’s pets were also fine and did not show any signs of smoke inhalation.
“This was a call that could have had a much different result and likely would have been a significant fire incident”, said Captain Robert Budke. “Mr. Mast’s actions made the difference in the outcome of this incident.”
In recognition of Mast’s "selfless act of concern and compassion for his neighbor’s well-being" the Salina Fire Department is honoring him with a certificate of appreciation.
The Salina Fire Department reminds residents to ensure their smoke alarms are working by testing them monthly and changing their batteries twice a year.
Check to make sure you have smoke alarms on each level of your home, outside all sleeping areas, and in each bedroom. Also, never be afraid to call your emergency service a provider.